Recently I was reading on a health blog and again they were talking of coconut water. They said coconut water is full of "potassium and electrolytes." That right there flew up a red flag for me. Potassium is an electrolyte! This blog obviously was not as high up on the nutrition know how as I thought.
This reaffirmed my previous thinking that coconut water may indeed be a health fad. But before I was to take stance on the matter I asked myself: What do I know about coconut water?
But indeed that is more what I've been told and seen, than what I know. Many people confuse the two and that's how fads get started or how people can say potassium and electrolytes.
What do we know:
- The coconut water is indeed packed with electrolytes so its great to replenish depleted stores. But lacks appropriate amounts protein and carbohydrates needed for recovery after vigorous exercise (meaning an hour or more).
- It's fairly high in natural sugars which is hard for many people to digest.
- Natural diuretic (so sensitive to sugars or not you will be "releasing" more.)
- We know that packaged coconut water has added sodium in it.-watch out.
- We know that Nothing is as good for you packaged and processed over fresh. -lots of nutrients are destroyed and lots of bad added in to preserve.
- Some comes in Flavors which adds processed sugar.- not good.
What are your thoughts, and experiences with coconut water?