Thursday, October 4, 2012

Proud moment and some controversy

Yesterday I did some kickboxing for my workout.  My kids joined me on this, and I'm so glad they did because my four-year-old taught me some new moves!  He asked me if I have ever done "this," and he'd either try and do it or he'd explain it to me.
It felt so good that I've been an example to him in health and fitness to the point where he is trying to develop his own stuff.  It was adorable.  He made up the sequence below.  The elbow blow I've never done on a bag before and the jump n' punch I've never even seen before!  He mixed it with some other moves I've done previously, but he hasn't seen those in about a year.  So to his credit this sequence is all him.  I filmed this after I was done working out so I was really exhausted! But take a look at today's training moves from a 4-year-old.

                                 (Did you hear him coaching me in the background?)
If you don't have a bag you can do this in the air.  Still effective.  Give it a try, it really can work ya! I'm adding them to my kickboxing mix from now on.

And here is the controversy:  I was made aware of Dove's "Campaign for Real Beauty."  Upon hearing about it I got excited and wanted to join the movement.  Which is about getting away from ads and things that are all Photoshopped and airbrushed.  And moving toward using real women as they are.
So you can see my interest right?  I'm all about REAL.  I believe in keeping oneself strong and healthy yes, but not starved or unrealistic.  In looking deeper into this movement came those that criticized Dove because they say love yourself as you are, but yet sell anti-aging moisturizers and creams to reduce cellulite.  Soo love yourself after their products?
Under Armor did a similar thing.  Saying they were to "take it back."  Away from the Photoshopped models and back to real women.  Yet all the women in their promo videos and pictures were the skinniest I've ever seen.  Maybe that's why they choose them? So they can say their not Photoshopped?
What do you think?  Hypocrites, looking to gain confidence in a potential buyer?  Or crusaders with pure intent?

For me I'm thinking... there OK.  I feel computerizing pictures to change a persons features is crossing the line.  But I don't feel it's wrong to were makeup or anti-aging moisturizers, or even be super fit.  But I think we too can take it too far.  To where we have to wear make up at all times or have to be super thin to feel good about ourselves.  While this is not always easy, we do need to be comfortable with ourselves.  I think they are marketers trying to market a product but they also bring good points to everyone attention.


So as for me I say: if you want, buy these products, yes do exercise but all in balance.
Just make it, and yourself enough.  Lose unhealthy fat, gain essential muscle.  Be better feel better but don't be unreasonable because your not a size 0.  And at the same time don't give up because a Dr tells you you will never loose your belly fat because of a c-section, or because of hypothyroidism, or anything.  Be strong, be smart, be you!

-Let me know what you think.


3 comments:

  1. Haha. I love him coaching! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you I think it's marketing but their still in check

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's messed up. They shouldn't be selling beauty products if they say your beautiful as is.

    ReplyDelete