Monday, January 28, 2013

Recipe for Life

My husband and I had a discussion this morning about religion and people's views on it.  He is worried about some friends who stopped coming to church and wanted some thoughts on what to do.

My advice?  The Recipe for Life.

I as I do with most things I related them to fitness and health.  But the theory is universally applicable to anything.

I told him of the struggle it is to get out of bed on a cold tired morning with a giant To-Do list and to say "First I must exercise."  It's tough but I do it.  Why?  Because I don't want the other result.  I don't want to be weighed down with excess fat and not have energy to play with my kids(been there) or go hiking.  I don't want any extra (I already have some) health problems complicating life and keeping me on pills, in bed, or the hospital.(seen it) I want a good quality of life more than I want quantity.

Because I don't want any of that I have to act now and every day to make sure that my actions coincidence with the result I want.  It's by looking to the future that we can better judge the present. 

He's remarks were funny yet empowering.  He said "No one wakes up in the morning and says: 'I want to be fat'.  People just don't think like that."

They don't? Maybe we should. It changes everything.

Take Ebenezer Scrooge or the modern version, the film "13 going on 30."  Only through seeing where their present course of life would take them were they able to readjust and commit to change.  They didn't want to be that future person so they lived the present differently.

If we wake up and say who we are and what we want to be, we instantly have a source of power.  Motivation.  A reason for doing what we want to do.  Which then gives us more momentum to recommit to our decision.

That in essence is the Recipe for Life.

If you know how to commit to something, making it a daily or at least regular practice then you can be successful in anything.  Religion, marriage, health, careers.  Because the commitment, diligence, and handwork are all transferable.  Will we be perfect?-No.  But we can get close.  Especially if we plan properly.

That is why if you can live a healthy life you can succeed across the board.  Because you know how to commit and push past the burn.  Nothing worth achieving is easy.  It's not.  But it's just that, worth it.

So the next time you wake up remind yourself who you want to be and take action immediately.  Then just as Ebenezer and Jenna did, keep that goal, that ideal in your heart all day and every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment